Saturday 26 July 2014

127 WELLINGTON STREET

 127 Wellington Street has never drawn my attention before, although I must have driven past it thousands of times. It was only when I walked by, for the first time, that I noticed some rather attractive “doodaderry” (as pictured) and decided to find out more.

This little building, which today houses an interior design business, has been on the heritage register of the national estate since 1978. According to the Heritage Database Site, it was constructed in the 1840s as a house, and had a shopfront added at a later date, along with various other modifications.

The first reference I could find in the newspapers (via TROVE) was 1894, when James Thomas, of this address was accused of stealing some chooks and a couple of stringy bark posts from his neighbour. The same year an advertisement was place seeking “a young lady to teach sewing,”but the nineteenth century otherwise remains a bit of a mystery. It is not surprising, as street numbers were not usually given until around 1892.

The property has a number of mentions in twentieth century newspapers, the saddest being a report about little Francis McCullagh who died in 1927 when the woodpile he was playing on, collapsed.

I don't know when the shop was added to the main building, but it existed in 1928 when the premises what known as “ The Leading Butchery.” In 1903, someone from this address advertised for the return of a lost sheep and lamb, so probably it was a butchery then too.

In 1930, two youths responsible for a series of robberies in Launceston, were recaptured at this location, the home of Elizabeth Jordan, after they had escaped from the lock-up. The youth's crime spree is recounted in The Mercury of 25 October The two young men claimed that they were encouraged in their endeavours by Elizabeth.

The building underwent a change of usage when 1937 Walter Gillam opened a home for old men at 127 Wellington Street.

In 1976, the building became the Commercial Traveller's Club. The club closed in 1988.(For more information about the Commercial Traveller's Association see http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/upfiles/qvmag/imglib/collections/CHS56%20Commercial%20Travellers'%20Association%20of%20Tasmania%20(CTA).pdf ).

127 Welllington Street has since been occupied by an electrical repair shop, and as mentioned at the beginning, an interior designer.

There are clearly many missing details in this account. A peek in Post Office Directories, phone books and so on would no doubt fill in many of the gaps. I haven't done this as....well.... to be honest, I'm not really that interested (I will no doubt soon find out that I've missed some truly earth-shattering historic event which occurred on the premises because I didn't bother to find out more!). Hopefully the information I have included gives some insight into how a single building can have many uses over time and illustrates that each of Launceston's “less grand” older city buildings can provide an insight into the story of small business that is often overlooked, but which is a vital part of the commercial history of Launceston.


6 comments:

  1. Heather - have you come across any reference to a General Store on Wellington Street occupied by a former convict and well known local hawker Lawrence Perrin also known in Launceston as "Old Lal"? He opened the shop in 1850 "opposite the Brass Foundry in Wellington St" - I just read your post about the shop above and wondered. I have recently been to Launceston and couldn't pin point where exactly the brass foundry would have been at that time. Just interested in your thoughts! Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Kate...so unused to anyone actually commenting I think I did the wrong thing and should have replied here. Anyway.....see the second comment below.......

      Delete
  2. Hi Kate, I think the Brass foundry (which might have originally been where the Baptist Church office ex Parr's Hotel is) had moved to a block between Maitland and Wellington Street by around the middle of the century (see http://bradken.com/documents/our-company/Launceston_Foundry_History_to_1980's.pdf). Puts it a bit further up the road than this shop, sort of around where the Metro Bus Depot is now. The block was over an acre in side so its a bit hard to pin the exact location down but at least it suggests that Perrin's store was on the right hand side of the road as you're driving out of town. I suspect it might be part of the road system now, but will have a look next time I'm passing to remind myself of what is actually there. Do you know if this presumably little business grew into the much bigger Perrin's store that I did a post about in Brisbane Street?
    Cheers
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Heather - would appreciate that. I have a great little advertisement for the shop from Trove in August 1850 (http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/36266725) but highly doubt it was the same Perrin as the Brisbane St store - sounds like those Perrin's were free settlers although it would have been a strange name in a town as small as Launceston back then! Really appreciate your help and enjoy reading your blog - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kate and Heather,
    I believe I am the great,great,great grandson of "Old Lal" Lawrence Perrin. From my research he married a Susan Fisher on a ticket of leave and together they had 8 children. I am wondering if the Brisbane Street store may have been owned by one of his children. One of his children< Lawrence Selwyn Perrin emigrated to NZ and married Mary Louisa Twyford Jones and together they had 16 children. Fascinating snippets and I would be interested in learning more. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny Youd (Gillam)7 May 2023 at 12:17

    I found this very interesting… I have just started investigating my family tree. The Walter Gillam mentioned was my great uncle. He passed away at this address. Thankyou so much

    ReplyDelete